Friday, January 31, 2014

Live as If You'll Die Tomorrow

My Communication professor told a profound story that struck a chord with me. She described how her father was an aerospace engineer and worked at his job passionately for years, until he got laid off. And never recovered. With the struggles of taking care of his Multiple Sclerosis-stricken wife and four children, he slowly declined from the "happy go lucky" old person archetype to the "grumpy, curmudgeon" old person archetype.

When my professor's mother had already passed away and her father was about 90 years old, she had a shocking revelation when her father stated, as he sat across the table from her, "My life was not exciting. I didn't get to do what I wanted. I didn't feel like I progressed in my career and I didn't want kids." -But I was his favorite child, mentioned our professor-

But the fact that her father did not get to live the life he wanted and died two months later, not happy with the time he spent on this earth, was absolutely sad, depressing, and appalling to hear. This motivated my professor to live her life, because she didn't want to be near death and not having a full life. And I wouldn't want to have such a sad ending either.

Ever since attending college, I have been constantly growing, maturing, and learning (from professors, peers, family, and myself). I have realized that I want to stop adhering to the routine, boring, terrible ways of the traditional high school institution, and take advantage of my privilege in attending a great college, by independently choosing the classes I want to take. The more classes I have been choosing for myself and get excited about, I learn so much from. The experiences and chances I have taken while in college, I have come to know that they have made my college experience that much better. '

I learned that my time is precious and that I should not waste it on classes I have no passion or drive for, that I should not be afraid to dress, act, or speak the way I want to just because I am afraid of being judged by society or even my peers, and that I should continue taking chances or trying new things to just be able to say "I did it". No regrets. After hearing this story, I am even more motivated to follow my professor's advice: "I live as if I will die tomorrow. When I find myself saying no, I can't do this, too many times in a row, I know something has got to change."

Wow do I learn incredible life lessons from upper div Communication. Thank you higher education.
(Note: This was supposed to be a one sentence post. Whoops, I got carried away).

No comments:

Post a Comment