Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Altering the Time Space Continuum

Just last week, I was roaming my college's website on potential double majors. I've been working towards double majoring in Communication, alongside my declared major of Design, but didn't know exactly where I was going with it or what I wanted to do with it. I only decided to work on a double major while I haven't been able to get into my impacted design classes, and to explore another field that could potentially interest me.

Granted, the classes I have taken since the end of last year were quite interesting and I do find they have enhanced my knowledge and expanded my world views. However, I just did not truly feel satisfied or content. Well truthfully, I was probably just content, but not excited and passionate about what I was studying. I wanted more.

Since the end of last year, and throughout the beginning of this school year, I have been contemplating a variety of combinations of double majors with this minor, and double majors with that minor, and one major with this minor…and the list goes on. These have included courses in Asian American Studies, Textile and Clothing, Film Studies, and the previously-stated Communication major.

Just last week, as I was perusing the Film Studies curriculum online for the umpteenth time, I noticed a unique sounding major that I recognized seeing before when I considered Film Studies. So I decided to just click on it to see what it was all about. It couldn't hurt. And amazing how the most minute, micro decisions can alter a life (or so I'd like to think).

The course descriptions of the classes offered for this major were so enticing and alluring; I wondered where this major was all my life and why it was hiding from me and the rest of the world. It was definitely not as talked about as my currently declared major of Design. From that first night of discovery and realization, I knew I had to get out of my slump and start taking those classes right away. The new skill set I will attain will be incredibly valuable to pair with what I learn from my Design major. And once my registration time comes in just a few weeks, I will be on my way to something possibly amazing (or at least exciting for me).

Here I come Technocultural Studies. Be ready for me (am I even ready for it???)


No comments:

Post a Comment