Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Joyous Journeys: Philippines Day 11

July 21, 2014
My beautiful Nanay (my grandmother on my father's side).
Go on a nostalgic journey back in time with me. Click to read more about my groovy grandparents.


My Nanay has always been rambunctious, talkative, and exuberant. My Tatay always seemed to be a man of few words, but still an important part of my life nonetheless. While sitting in their home just listening to the adults chatter away, I realized I should find out if they had old photos of my grandparents, because I actually never have seen them as youngsters. And once I asked, I was presented with albums upon albums of unseen photographs of them, my aunts, uncles, and dad in their youth, and my cousins and I as babies. It was an incredible time traveling moment for me to just connect with my past. I've always placed importance on knowing my past: who my parents were as youth, what my grandparents were like, what their living conditions were like 10, 20, 30 years ago, what it was like for my Tatay to be a kid during World War II. Just knowing my family history (same goes for getting to know my grandparents on my mother's side), means knowing more about myself. And that, is always an important journey. 
I had no idea my Tatay sported the typical long-hair-goatee look of the 70s. My grandparents were already so hip and with the times. Maybe I get it from them?
And here they are now, still as cute and amazing as ever. 
And later that night, strolled around the nearby coffee house, just winding down with my parents and sister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment